birding-aus

First interest in Birding

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: First interest in Birding
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:54:22 -0800 (PST)
I've read with interest how many of you great people
got started with your own birding, with me I think it
goes back to a place called "Baffins Pond" in the UK
and often the pond would freeze up in winter, it was
there I first recall what a good two point bird
landing really meant and the fun they had in doing
this and constant practicing. Mainly "Swans" but
sometimes you would get the occasional duck practice
their ten swan bowling :-] plus my Uncle Ernie had
some good birding places close to his home at
Horndean.

Never knew why I had to wear short trousers in UK
though? I think it was at my Uncle's home my real love
for birds was born, with the first close up view of a
"Red Robin" and the very first Wren I saw. No not my
Auntie who was in the UK navy but the feathered
variety. :-]

I still remember, even now putting out water, and each
morning breaking the ice for them in winter, plus
putting out small amounts of cut up bacon rind,
peanuts and sultana's.

Long Long ago eh in days without BSE eh?

With the bulk of my youth being spent in and near
Portsmouth, Hampshire (then later on to London) whilst
living near the Solent, at that time, was where I
first saw the famous UK backward flying seagull, my
heart leaped and my schoolcap too as it chased the
gull towards Devon and Cornwall. Never got it back :-(

Work life there and here has always been with water
and health and safety but always with birds living in
my life. I seemed to picked up on what Nan a beaut
welsh lady had and that was the gift of helping small
birds. So I suppose it was natural for me to meet my
Hilary of Washington ....

I'm now the very proud Dad of six North West Crows,
Hilary says I am as we talk a bit on the phone and
Hilary says occasionally it's nice for her to get in a
word to me. She has a multitude of other USA injured
or wayward birds. We both do all we can whenever we
can and that is the very essence of good birding, you
do it because you care.

Better go before this gets far to long hope you've had
a chuckle at some of the above, hope some good
memories have been stirred, but most of all glad you
all care.

Sincerely,
John A. Gamblin and son Egbert George Gamblin.