birding-aus

Publicity + Education

Subject: Publicity + Education
From: Kirrama Wildlife Tours <>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:09:09 +1000

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:06:24 +0000
From: stannard <>
Subject: [Fwd: Publicity + Education]

Good Morning All.
I have been following the mail regarding publicity and education with a
very keen interest, and must thank Edwin and Peter for raising the
subject. I have previously written on Birding - Aus about the local
Julatten School who run a yearly Natural History, Day, and Overnight
Night Camp for their Junior Children,which is held at  Kingfisher Park.
Every year they try to add a different theme to the camp, botany, birds,
and other animals is always the major subject of the camp, this year the
new theme was Fungi, the part it plays in the rainforest , and how the
interaction between fungi, trees, plant material, birds and other
animals are the important ingredients for a healthy  forest. This year,
they also had people from Wildlife Rescue attend to talk about sick and
injured animals and what to do if the they did find any injured birds
and other animals, they  bought  along specimens in care to show the
children. The local vet came along also to give a talk on animal health.
My main reason for writing this is to say how hard it is to get any
information suitable to children, [thank goodness we have the Gould
league] if it wasn't for the tremendous amount of talented and willing
people that live and work in our surrounding areas, that are always
called upon to help out at these camps, they would never go ahead. I
often feel that I am beating an empty drum whenever I bring up the
subject of Birds & Environment, etc,etc, for the education of our young
children, and was over the moon when I read John Gamblins twopennysworth
about education, maybe B.A should take a page out of the Golden Arches
marketing toward the young people, but instead of big Mac's make it
Y.E.D's [Young Environmental Days]  J.D said, even Bill Gates was young
once. and I say even scientist went to school once.
Good Birding,
Ron Stannard   K.P.B.W.L.

Kirrama Wildlife Tours   Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut
PO Box 1400  INNISFAIL  QLD  4860  Australia
PH.: 07  4065 5181      Fax: 07 4065 5197
Intern. fax: +61  7  4065 5197
Kirrama Home Page   http://www.gspeak.com.au/kirrama/
Birding Web Directory   http://www.ausbird.com