birding-aus

birding publicity; conservation

To: "birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding publicity; conservation
From: Goodfellow <>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 00 06:44:50 +0000
Thank you Jon, for liking the idea.

I forgot to say that a local Supreme Court judge Sally Thomas read her
own work 'Ode to a Sewage Pond' at both of the soirees.  Next thing she
received a letter from a Melbourne magistrate who knew her, disbelieving
that it really could have been Sally that he saw!  Sally says that if the
2 Fat Ladies gets off the ground she wants to be one of them!  In that
case it may have to be three or four (actually neither Sally, my
Aboriginal sisters, or myself are really fat so we may have to come up
with another name).

In the meantime my women friends (including Sally) and I have formed a
group called the Scrubfowls and we go off for weekends in the bush
fishing and birdwatching (me although I'm gradually introducing the
others to this pastime) equipped with champagne and mudcake and other
goodies.   I've been elected Head Chook; all the others are the
subordinate chickens.  Two of the women concerned, a prominent property
developer and a cattle station owner, are a little right of Ghenghis Khan
on Aboriginal and environmental issues, and the group is one way of
exposing them to other attitudes.
Denise