birding-aus

Bird Publicity ( in reply )

To: "R.A. & A. Green" <>
Subject: Bird Publicity ( in reply )
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:45:52 -0800 (PST)
Do you want the publicity for birds or to publicise
those you choose to publicise the importance of wild
birds?

Here are some steps you might like to use or consider:

1.
Contact your local freebie newspaper asking to talk
with someone that deals with human interest stories.

2.
Contact you local radio station doing the same at
first BUT think about making up a voice tape to help
them, help you, help the birds.

3.
Contact your local state govt. asking for a list of
those in your local area that could help you?

4.
Liase with the local media about running competitions
for the young? get them young and you've got them for
life.

5.
Be prepared to go out yourself and talk to the young
at schools etc., etc., get help from birding groups,
conservation groups, permaculture groups, aged citizen
help groups that may want you to show them where the
birds actually are.

6.
Talk with boating or tour groups, clubs, point out to
them about the size and numbers of USA birders alone
and those overseas dollars that could be earned.

7.
Hold meeting days because NOTHING beats word of mouth
advertizing, NOTHING on this planet at all.

8.
Think beyond birds and include furry critters that
live happily with birds and some perform birding
tasks.

9.
Search around and ask for volunteer speakers? if I was
too hold a public meeting on the plight of the
Grey-Crowned Babbler then who would I ask? No not a
Grey-Crowned Babbler but our very own Margaret Cameron
of this list. The are all here on this list.

10.
Accept the fact your life must change as you wish to
change the lives of others? nowadays if someone walks
up to me in my High Street says "G'day" and if in the
next 12 or so more words it does not include a topic
about birds I quickly say sorry I'm really busy as I
have to be at such and such in 10 minutes .... it
works and they soon change to nowadays say "G'day
Gammo saw your pelican last night down at to pier" big
smiles from both parties and a friendly chat takes
place.

You are the voice of your region, how loud can you
talk, how long till we see your very own name in
lights highlighting what is wrong with birds in your
area. You have one vote at a federal election why not
turn it into a thousand, but sadly not the way we done
elsewhere on this planet.

John A. Gamblin.

P.S.
What would be the chances of making all plastic to be
quickly decomposable in water? I refer to the plastic
used to hold together 6 tins of drink? grrrrrr a
frantic cousin of Pelaero is free now. But my jeans
and T shirt need a good wash now, from those that
thoughtlessly discard.

"R.A. & A. Green" <> wrote:

What we need is someone, a character that people can
identify

Peter Waanders said the above, and I agree.

Don Burke is already doing quite a bit of this on
Burkes Backyard - his own garden is largely planted
with natives and he keeps at least one hand-raised
"pet' cockatoo. He often shows close-ups of wild birds
on the plants he's featuring during the show. There is
scope for him to do a lot more, along the lines
already mentioned on this list. Perhaps its time he
replaced his weekly pet "road test" with a bird item!
Programmes like BBY are heavily subsidised by
manufacturers of products which are casually mentioned
or briefly shown on screen. Is there scope here for
binocular manufacturers, bird book publishers and
others to get in on the act, encouraged by BA?

Anne

I sort of agree with Anne, but are we then promoting
Don Burke or the prime issue?

John A. Gamblin