birding-aus

Conservation and active/inactive members

Subject: Conservation and active/inactive members
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:44:45 +1100
Loved Alex's quote about God putting us on earth to do so many
things, we'll never die.

The motto of Earthcare St. Kilda is "I do what I can, where I
am".

That group, in the City of Port Phillip close to the CBD on the
bay in Melbourne (http://home.vicnet.net.au/~earthcare/) has its
struggles but has quite a few active younger members. It's a
generalist environmental organisation with a special bird
project of monitoring the Little Penguins on the St. Kilda
breakwater.

Maybe - they think so? - I'm over-impressed with their work. But
there was a few years back a conscious strategy of delegating
through the creation of many specific roles (far beyond the
basic Chair, Secretary, Treasurer).  My local BOCA group also
has a few more specific roles like organising refreshments, 5
minutes talks...

Perhaps this is a way of avoiding burn out and, as important,
widening the range of types of people that are involved.

It requires leadership of the Chief Executive sort which focuses
on organisation and sees REAL delegation as essential.

I'm not very good at that !!! But I would like to know about any
success stories in leading, organising and developing
conservation groups: we need it.

Michael Norris