birding-aus

RFI: Turning the Tide

Subject: RFI: Turning the Tide
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 00:51:52 +1200
Hi all

This request touches on some of the recent threads in this forum, so I'm sure
there will be a few of you who can give me some advice (to pass on).

A senior teacher from another school in Geelong approached me yesterday about
some boys who had been attacking local birds.  The offences ranged from
rock-throwing at breeding Masked Lapwings (possibly to counteract their
dive-bombing?) to more wilful acts like egg-breaking and spray-painting birds.
I don't know the full details and species, but I do know that House Sparrows
were involved in some acts of violence.

The teacher is looking for an alternative to the punishment the boys expect -
Saturday detentions, possibly with labour etc.  He gave the impression that
these 6 boys were quite familiar with this response.  He would like them to
learn about birds, why they defend territories, and so on, as well as perhaps
having the chance to spend a bit of their free time studying or watching birds,
or at least doing something that puts a little 'back into the community'.

Can anyone suggest some suitable approaches - perhaps you have worked with
difficult youth in some sort of environmental project, or know someone who has?

The teacher would be happy to have someone come to speak and/or work with these
boys.  He also would like cold hard facts on what legal repercussions could
follow this sort of vandalism.

Any ideas?  I would prefer comments to come straight to me rather than to
Birding-Aus, as this is really a little off-topic and could easily get further
away.

Thanks for your help

Russell
---