birding-aus

Roo warning whistles

To: Russell <>
Subject: Roo warning whistles
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:47:50 +1100

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, allan benson wrote:
> > Does anybody have any suggestions on how to avoid road kills? I seem to
> > remember something about a whistle that is attached to the bumper bar on
> > birding -aus some time ago. Has any body any experience with with this
> > device? Does it work or does the noise drive you crazy?
>
> These devices are widely sold in the US as "deer whistles" and they must
> be available in Australia because our car had one affixed when we bought
> it second-hand.

I believe the Australian product is called "Shoo Roo"; they come in pairs
that you stick onto your bumper bar etc., and should be available at your
local automotive shop.  I'm a little skeptical of their effectiveness,
but they can't hurt.

-

I bought a pair from Wires at least 5 years ago and have had them on my 4WD
ever since but have never known whether or not they work as I drive very
slowly at dusk when in a 'roo/wombat area. However I met someone out at
Wanaaring (NW NSW) who lives at Bundeena (south of Sydney on the edge of
the Royal National Park) who swore about the effectiveness of his as he
drives regularly from Bundeen through the park to Sydney, and as anyone who
visits the park knows, there are huge quantities of feral deer there and he
swears it works with them, although maybe deer are a bit more road wise
than wombats and 'roos.

So, if you want a set, contact Wires.

Penny Drake-Brockman, Examination Recitals Co-ordinator, Sydney
Conservatorium of Music.
Tel: 02 9351 1254.