birding-aus

Australian Birding

Subject: Australian Birding
From: allan benson <>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:37:08 -0700
I received an email from Margaret Cameron stating the next issue of
Australian Birding would be the last. She indicated that Andrew Isles
was not able to break evenon the mag and can't afford to keep it going.

I would like to congratulate both Margaret and Andrew on doing an
excellent job in producing a top quality magazine. The mag set excellent
standard in both content and layout.

I think failure for Austalain Birding to remain viable vindicates the
decision of Birds Australia to position itself more broadly as a
"conservative" conservation based organisation. My understanding is that
the organisation repositioned itslf about 5 years ago in an attempt to
attract more corporate funding. Birds Australia would be seen more
favourably than the radical organisations such as Greenpeace and The
Conservation Foundation. I really don't know whether Birds Australia has
been successful in attracting corporate funds but they have
spectacularly successful in many projects such as HANZB , the Atlas and
with purchase of Gluepot and Newhaven. These are major practical as well
as PR triumphs for Birds Australia.

I guess the pure bird watching role is conducted by the bird clubs (FOC,
CBOC, BOCA etc) and Birds Australia sees no point in duplicating this
role. However, a publication such as Australian Birding which appeals to
the hardcore birder obviously has too small a market.

In regard to to Night Parrot's comments about the country members of
BOCA being hard done by, the answer is simple. Vote with their feet if
they are not happy. I think birding-aus has usurped the role previously
occupied by the bird club mags but each person must see belonging to an
organisation as "value for money."  I'm a little confused by the
reference to the tea party and chardonary sets of Melbourne referred to
by Night Parrot and one wonders if this is a a serious comment or simply
trawling. It is damn hard to tell when hiding behind anonymonity.

I'm personally extremely disappopinted that Austrtalian Birding has
folded and I sincerely hope the people involved will utilise their
skills and talents to get another project up and running.

Allan

--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia