birding-aus

Spring in Vic Central Highlands

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Spring in Vic Central Highlands
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:36:13 +1000
Hi All

The most obvious sign of Spring in the wet forests of the Victorian
Central Highlands is the brilliant yellow of the acacia flowers, mostly
Silver Wattle.  Even on a dark and rainy day the yellow shines out
brightly against the dark green foliage of the other trees and shrubs.
Many other plant species are in bud or just about to flower.  It's all
happening.
The first avian spring arrivals that I noticed were the Flame Robins
which began to appear along the roads and tracks in late August.  The
bright flash of the red breasted males and their constantly repeated
little song is very welcome after the long cold winter. Pink Robins have
also been appearing in various places in the past few weeks. In early
September I started to hear the odd Grey Fantail and Golden Whistler,
then suddenly their calls were everywhere, particularly the Golden
Whistlers, calling and answering across the forest with their shrill and
varied 'whistles'. It's a wonderful sound.
Crescent Honeyeaters are about.  I assume they have returned from lower
areas, but they move about a bit anyway.  I have seen some recently
feeding from Mountain Correa flowers, which seem to be the staple diet
of the Eastern Spinebills all through autumn and winter.  I saw Correas
starting to flower last February and they are still in flower in
September.
Spotted Pardalotes have made their burrows in the banks beside the roads
and a couple of times have nearly flown into me when I have walked past
the burrow entrances. Superb Lyrebirds are always about, but perhaps a
little quieter at this time of year.
I haven't seen any Yellow-faced Honeyeaters yet this season.  I'm not
sure when to expect them.
Now I'm looking forward to seeing the first of the Rufous Fantails and
White-throated Needletails, but it will be a while yet.
Cheers,
Merrilyn.