birding-aus

Re Wellington NSW Birdcount

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re Wellington NSW Birdcount
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:28:12 +1000
Hi Alex,

The Chestnut-rumped Heathwren deserves that place on your elusives list! Janis recorded it in Goonoo State Forest I think.  When we spoke she said it was visible for all of 5 seconds!  She left for the Flinders area this morning and won't be back for 2 weeks - but I will check when she returns for precise location details.

I don't know where the Forbes/Parkes people saw the Spotted Quail-thrush, but will endeavour to find out and hopefully post answers to both bird questions in a couple of weeks.

SOMETHING DIFFERENT:  While we were searching for birds for the Birdcount, we clearly heard an       Olive-backed Oriole calling.  Couldn't find it though.  Then a Noisy Miner flew in, perched and called.  Watching it with binoculars to be certain that it was not a Yellow-throated, I saw it open its beak and call "Orry-orry-ole".  Pointed this out to my friend who was disbelieving at first, but could then hear that the oriole call was coming from the beak of a Noisy Miner. The miner continued with that call a few more times, then sang some different songs.  Can someone tell me if they usually mimic other birds?  Or have I previously missed a very oriole-ish part of their normal repertoire?

Regards,  Judie Peet