birding-aus

Re Crested Bellbirds in Goonoo

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re Crested Bellbirds in Goonoo
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:38:47 +1000
Hi Simon,

Yep, the Annual Birdcount IS fun.  Next year I'll post details a few weeks beforehand in case someone is travelling through and wants to join in.

As far as the Crested Bellbird in Goonoo goes - I have never seen or heard one there in the 15 or so years that I've been regularly visiting the forest.  The only confirmed record that I know of for Goonoo is from October 1952!   This would make your record a very important one if you are certain about it. Did you atlas it? I have only ever heard one once in the Dubbo area, (in the TSR south of the city) so my feeling is that they are not so much 'becoming scarce', but that they have never been resident here.

Allan Morris might have more info on this.

Regards,  Judie