birding-aus

Trip report-NE Vic

Subject: Trip report-NE Vic
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:24:09 +1100

Hi all,

Have just returned from search of NE Victoria in search of Swift Parrots, and
located 73 species.  Here are some trip highlights and intersting observations:

Regent Honeyeaters (2) on Green Hill Road in Chiltern NP.  At last I have seen
this bird in Victoria, on my fourth winter visit to this park!  On locating
them, I deemed them worthy of an audible "woohoo" and a minor dance.  They were
feeding on insects and nectar in Mugga Ironbarks.

Square-tailed Kite (1) at Balmattum Hill, near Euroa (36 45 06, 145 35 28), also
a first for me in Vic, where it is very rare.  I had a magnificent view of the
bird as it moved slowly just above the canopy, glaring intently down into the
White Box woodland.  The bird was lit by sun (at my back) and was framed against
a backdrop of glistening blue White Box foliage and heavy black cloud.  I
wondered how common this scene must have been in northern Victoria pre-1850.

Swift Parrots (c. 35) are in Chiltern, certainly far less than in 1999.  Small
numbers are along the Green Hill Road area, but most are on White Box Road,
feeding on the abundantly flowering, erm, White Box.  This area is well worth a
look for any Chiltern goers in the next month or so, there may be Regents there
too.  I can provide details.

Killawarra State Forest had an incredible concentration of Swift Parrots in
1999, but what a difference a year makes.  In May a large flock were in a Grey
Box stand here, but now?  Lorikeets 0, friarbirds 0, Fuscous Honeyeater 2 in a
1.5 hour visit!  Not a single blossom found!

Did see a male Gilberts Whistler (36 13 26, 146 08 05) at Killawarra though,
there couldn't be many of these left in NE Vic?

Turquoise Parrot (2) in the Warby Ranges, Diamond Firetail with what looked like
a brood patch nearby.

On the cuckoo thread, recorded Pallid (3 sites) Horsfields Bronze, Black-eared
and Fan-tailed (2 sites each).

Happy birding,

Simon Kennedy