birding-aus

Disclosing locations of rare birds

To: Birding-aus LIST <>
Subject: Disclosing locations of rare birds
From: Trevor Kerr <>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 22:56:12 +1000
Hi all.

I'm new to this list, so hope you don't mind an innocent question about
protocol.

Do you have any way of preventing or discouraging the posting of the
whereabouts of nesting rare raptors and parrots - the sort of thing that
collectors and traders drive halfway across the country for?

--
Trevor Kerr
Blackburn  Victoria  Australia

s to the island, threatening other bird
species.

Tuna industry spokesman, Brian Jeffriess, has denied
that seagulls have over-run the island, and says
changes to the industry mean the feedlots no longer
attract the birds.

But he says the industry will still commit to a plan to
tackle issues such as boxthorn bushes, which are
causing problems:

"We've agreed with a whole range of people to develop
a development plan for rabbit island. It's within a
national park of course so it has to be done within that
perspective and we will be discussing with national
parks as to how exactly we can best contribute towards
the sustainable recovery of the island."

However, Conservation Council officer, Michelle Grady,
says improvements can still be made to the way the
tuna industry feeds its fish to stop seagulls being
attracted to the feedlot areas.

She says the seagull explosion is a serious problem
that reflects that the ecosystem is out of balance, and
pellets should be used to feed the tuna instead of live
fish, to reduce the problem.
"Scavenging seagulls are a big impact when they come
in large numbers and it's also a very unnecessary
impact."

"There are things that the tuna industry can do and we
understand has started to do to mitigate this problem."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sa
© 2000 Australian Broadcasting Corporation