birding-aus

Disclosing locations of rare birds

To: David Geering <>
Subject: Disclosing locations of rare birds
From: Andrew <>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:48:50 +1000
Hi David
I take your point about birds on private property - but it still grates at
times.  In Sweden, there is something called "the right of common access"
(allemansratten) - which basically means that the land belongs to ALL the people
and you can walk anywhere within reason ie you can't camp under a farmer's
window or walk over his crops.  But you CAN walk down and have a look at a lake
on his/her property and you can pick mushrooms and berries in a privately-owned
forest - and birdwatch!  I believe that this radical situation arose from the
bad old days when, if the rich landholders monopolised the resources of the land
too much, poor people starved to death during the winter.
Perhaps we should propose a "right of free birding" for modern Australia?
Andrew Thelander