birding-aus

Great Crested Grebes in Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Great Crested Grebes in Sydney
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:14:18 -0000
This may probably only interest Sydney birdo's. This afternoon had a quick look at Prospect Reservoir (about 40km west off Sydney and about 2km south of Blacktown and very close to home) and saw atleast one Great-crested Grebe. I think it has been atleast 3 years since I last saw a Great-crested Grebe anywhere in Sydney. There were also Australasian Grebes; lots of Coots; Moorhens; Black Swans; Black and Wood Ducks; Little Black, Little Pied and Great Black Cormorants and hundreds of Silver Gulls. Heard an Olive-backed Oriole and also one or two Fan-tailed Cuckoos there (in support of my recent email regarding Cuckoo's overwintering in Sydney). Red-whiskered Bulbuls were also very numerous there.

Also this afternoon at Doonside (near Blacktown) saw a Peregrine Falcon and possibly a Pacific Baza that has been regularly seen around the area.

Edwin