birding-aus

Helicopters and birds

Subject: Helicopters and birds
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:57:38 +1100
Hi all,

>From where I sit at my computer I can see the big Russian Kamov helicopter
hovering over the Jamison Valley and a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles
spiralling up out of the valley nearby - I guess their morning peace was
rudely disturbed. These are probably the same eagles I saw soaring low over
the highway just west of Katoomba two days ago.

The chopper has been an obvious presence for the past few weeks as it
carries huge steel girders and other building material from a stockpile on
Narrow Neck peninsula down into the valley for a new Scenic Skyway
construction. The stockpile site on Narrow Neck happens to be right where
hundreds of honeyeaters have been congregating to feed from the flowering
banksias, and I wondered whether any honeyeaters would have stuck around
after three weeks of noise and wind disturbance from the chopper hovering
low overhead. Well a few days ago, during a peaceful respite from the
activity, I ventured out there and was surprised to find the place still
alive with honeyeaters - especially Yellow-faced and New Hollands, some
Crescents, not as many White-naped as before but most surpringly, the small
group of Yellow-tufted were still present! I guess the lure of the nectar
is just too strong.

Speaking of helicopters, our local Lewin's Rail was heard calling recently
apparently in response to the sound of a chopper flying overhead.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba