birding-aus

Magellan Blazer 12????

To: Karen Pearson <>
Subject: Magellan Blazer 12????
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:27:54 +1000
Karen Pearson wrote:

>  While I know absolutely nothing regarding GPS units, I thought I'd just
> mention that the May 2000 issue of Choice Magazine (Australian Consumers'
> Association) includes a 6 page test report on GPS units.
[snip]
> Their web site is www.choice.com.au but I'm not sure how much you
> can access from it.

The article is available on their website, but it's a pay-per-view
arrangement.  The GPS article is a "premium" article, and costs
$8.25 (inc. GST.)  If you subscribe ($12.10 a quarter inc GST)
you can view any(?) of the articles for free.

Regarding the Magellan Blazer 12, it appears to be an entry level
model.  There's a side-by-side comparison between the Magellan
Blazer 12, Magellan 310, Garmin 12XL and Garmin eTrex at:
  http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/blazerg12.htm

The Blazer 12 has been superceded by the 310, and doesn't have a
computer/DGPS connection.  Both are limited to 100 waypoints with
4 character, *no* plotting or tracklog ("cookie crumb" display)
and limited grid/datum options.  They suppors the AUST84 (presumably
Australian Geodetic Datum 1984) but not AGD66 which most topo. maps
I have seen use, though AGD66 is being phased out.  It has a
12-channel receiver which is a must.

For much the same price ($US) the Garmin eTrex supports more
waypoints, has a plot/tracklog facility and extra grid/datums
so is probably the better buy, though Birds Australia only
sell Magellans.

(I don't have any affiliation to Garmin other than being a
satisfied customer.)