birding-aus

Ballara Grasswren

To: "Birdingaus" <>
Subject: Ballara Grasswren
From: "Helen Horton" <>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:28:20 +1000
To Bob and various others,

Dusky Grasswren -- race ballarae

I find I can't quite let this discussion pass without a small comment.

First for a bit of nostalgia: I remember very distinctly the occasion of our first sighting of this grasswren.  We were taking some interstate visitors out to one of our favourite spots.  They were desirous of seeing Purple-backed Fairy-wrens, now known as a geographic variation of the Variegated. The baby I was nursing had just gone to sleep (no baby capsules then), and as we came to a crest, I saw a couple of wrens on the flanking rocks.  My first thought was that if we stopped now, the baby would wake, and I was tempted, only momentarily, to say nothing -- after all there would be other chances -- then immediately realised these were not fairy-wrens.  So we stopped and watched them for about 10 minutes.  Later, we found them in other places, closer to Mount Isa (some very close) where we were then living.   Bill Horton and Sam Carruthers found a nest and eventually wrote a paper on their findings of the birds in this group.

This brings me to their distribution/name question.

The Kalkadoon people occupied the whole stretch of ranges in this north-western area of Qld -- from around Boulia in the south up to about the Macarthur River in the  north  (say, past Lawn Hill if you want a better known name).  This takes in the Carpentarean Grasswren habitat as well.

While on the name Kalkadoon, I might mention that it is anything but a romantic name.  The Kalkadoons were a fierce, warlike people who dominated the surrounding tribes -- perhaps it was the rugged nature of their domain that contributed to their aggressive nature.  When European settlers moved in, they waged a very successful guerilla type of warfare for some time and in the end, fought a full scale battle against the invaders (I think they were the only ones to do this).  Unfortunately, this ended in a pitched battle where they made the mistake of leaving their traditional cover and raced down the hill into, of course, the superior fire power of their opponents.   If there is ever a species of falcon, akin to the Peregrine, discovered, Kalkadoon would be a good name for it.

On the distribution count, even Selwyn is a bit off-centre for the grasswren, but certainly better than Kalkadoon; and personally, I see nothing wrong with remaining with the name of the locality where it was first seen -- it's a pleasant word, moreover.  Ballara was the name of a small town -- no longer there.

I don't know if it is likely to be made into a separate species, but I have to say that when we eventually saw Amytornis purnelli at Alice Springs, we felt it was a different bird -- not only in size and colour, but also in its habits; the terrains may have been similar in that both were rocky, but the birds' handling of their terrain and of their bodies were very different.

I agree it's always best to use a plumage or anatomical, distinguishing feature for a species name, but this is difficult when the difference from other species is not easily noticeable ( I don't remember any pale bum!).  This happens with many other birds too.

Helen Horton

Helen Horton
email -