birding-aus

Wet Easter reflections

To: <>
Subject: Wet Easter reflections
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:14:39 +1000
North Qld. isn't the only part of the Sunshine State to be completely bereft of sunshine these past days and weeks. SEQ is also awash,though not to the same extent.So Easter and Labour Day periods have been home-based, watching the rain and mist from the verandah, contemplating the rushing creek,the unplanted trees/shrubs , the overflowing tanks,and the millions of leeches thinking Christmas has extended into Easter.
             In spite of all this, there has been some birding joy- and not all on the internet, or in the pile of unread birding magazines, or in the unentered birding records etc. We actually got to see some real live, if not a little damp, birds. Highlights included only the second sighting at home ("Jaya", Bridge Creek valley, 4km north of Maleny, Blackall Range) of a Dusky Honeyeater, feeding on the sole remaining callistemon flower on Good Friday. It managed to get its fill before the squadron of Lewin's arrived, machine-gun calls and all.Then the arrival of an immature (?male) Regent Bowerbird, always welcome, but not that frequent a visitor.Along with the resident Satin Bowerbirds they love the blue berries on the native tobacco bushes just metres from the verandah. Closely followed by the regulars-- Golden Whistlers, Rufous and Grey Fantails, Little Shrike Thrush, Brown Thornbills,Black-faced Monarchs, with Eastern Whipbirds and White -throated Gerygone heard in the background.At the end of this flurry it rained(surprise,surprise), but not before we saw our first Rose Robin of the season.(This is the point at which Julian B. and Bob I. may wish to question the sanity of the author in talking about "seasons"!!)

       Easter Saturday we saw nine (9) Pacific Bazas soaring towards us across the valley from the Witta hills. They also are regulars, though we have never seen as many.We think they must breed pretty close to us as we see adults teaching young how to feed in branches (the crash-through or crash method) most years. The previous week three Wedge-tailed Eagles had soared through the valley (in which we have seen nine species of raptors over the years--though we are yet to get a visit from a Red Goshawk in the Conondale Range,30km away)

    And now the good and the bad news!! After five years of wanting to see a Bush Hen, and believing that they should, and probably were, on our property or nearby, I got to see one on Thurs, last.It was a juvenile, i know that because I had 12 hours to look at it as it (unsuccesfully) attempted to recover from an attack from a local domestic cat attack. It didn't make it through the night, or to the local Wilvo who gently told me not to anticipate its survival. What a sad way to see a long -awaited new bird. I feel I've put the mockas onit!!! I hope I can see another scuttle safely into the plentiful undergrowth.

   So April's total was 71(birds, not inches), compared with around 60 most months (out of 128 species seen in total over five years).Today brought the first White-winged Triller for some time, although we saw the Varied Triller quite recently, and I managed poor views of a pair of Spotted Pardolotes through the mist. So ends the reflections, back to the world -of -work tomorrow.

                    Russ Lamb,Maleny