birding-aus

Spangled drongos-Redcliffe Pen. & Maleny

To: <>
Subject: Spangled drongos-Redcliffe Pen. & Maleny
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 15:19:28 +1000
Having lived and birded at both Redcliffe and Maleny, and knowing Julian and Fran (though not Bob Inglis) i feel both compelled and obliged to add some of my sighting records to the "great drongo debate".I have lived at Maleny since Dec 1994, and am located no more than 4 km west of Frances Guard, though deeper into the Blackall Range (our co-ordinates are 26 43 59S, 152 50 53E) . My records are very similiar to Fran's .Over 5 years, drongos have first appeared in October in every year except one,1997, when the first sighting was on 20 September.The birds are regular and highly visible in every month through to April, with the last sightings being in May('95,'96) and April('97,98,99).They are regular breeders here,with a pair nesting in a tall euc. over our little bridge for 3 successive years. They have been successful in two of those years, raising two chicks each time.Not so good this year, with the more-than-usually flimsy nest not withstanding the summer downpours.A couple of years ago there were about five nesting pairs within 300 metres.

                      i also reviewed my Redcliffe records for Sept.'93 to Dec.94 when we moved to Maleny.They show no sightingsof drongos from Sept.'93 to April'94 . First sighting was at Redcliffe airport on 7/5/94, then at Duffield Rd. 19/6/94 and3/7/94, and lastly on 9/10/94. I do have at record from Tinchi Tamba wetlands (over the bridge towards Deagon) for 12/2/94.One year is a very short period, so these sightings probably mean little, though clearly everyone agrees drongos are not common on the Peninsula in early to mid summer, and are more evident in the autumn and winter. The reverse is clearly the case on the Blackall Range, althoughit is really only winter when they are absent there.Do either Julian or Bob have any breeding records?

                    To complete (or confuse?) the picture, I have records of drongos for :
        January---    Elanda Point (coastal,north of Noosa for southeners)
        February----  Gheerulla Falls (Blackall Range, near Mapleton),Jimna,Peachester,Mt.Barney (none of which are coastal, all of which have some altitude)
        March--------- Nambour,Imbil,Gheerulla Falls,
        April------      Goodnight Scrub (near Gin Gin),Chinchilla,
        May---          North Stradbroke Island (definitely coastal!!!),
        June-------      Carlo Point,Coolola (both coastal)
        July-----        Tingalpa,Coochin Creek
        October---    Landsborough
        November--   Boonooroo (Great Sandy Straits)
        December---  Jimna,
  I guess that all shows that if you look in enough places you're bound to find a drongo somewhere (and some of us are mad enough to keep records of it!!!) Maybe Julian,Bob and I could convince the Redcliffe City Council to instigate the " great drongo hunt" as an annual event? Hmnn, but when would they hold it????

            Stay light,
                          Russ Lamb,Maleny