birding-aus

Lake Eyre RFI

Subject: Lake Eyre RFI
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 10:28:04 +1000
Hi Sean (and Lorna and Birding-Aussers) -

At 07:49 AM 7/04/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Does anyone know what is happening with breeding birds on Lake Eyre at the
>moment? And in the inland in general?

All I know is that Clive Minton (of the Victorian Wader Study Group) has
gone with Roz Jessop and Pete Collins for a week to an island in Lake Eyre
where a Banded Stilt breeding event has started - numbers: >10,000.  There
are also Pelicans and Silver Gulls breeding there.  The idea is to study
some not-well-known fine details of the Banded Stilt breeding cycle and the
effects of Silver Gull predation.  The island is c.25km east of William
Creek, and apparently only accessible by helicopter (or hovercraft) as the
surrounding water is too shallow for boats.  I hope to publish an account
of their experiences in the next GALAH (BA in-house newsletter) in early May.

As for elsewhere in central Australia, there is much anecdotal stuff about
rains and lakes filling, and the Atlas team reports feedback from regional
organisers that this is making more difficult to get about, but there has
been little detail on birds breeding so far.  There will be some Atlas
expeditions visiting remote areas over the coming months and I hope that
these and other atlassing activities will document the effects of a lot of
extra water in the inland.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"