birding-aus

RFI-Borroloola area

Subject: RFI-Borroloola area
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:57:19 +1000
Hi birding-aussers,

I'll be in the Borroloola area, Carpentaria, from 23rd to 29th April,
doing some atlassing, and trying to catch up on some of the special
birds in the area. I'll also have an afternoon and evening in Darwin on
Saturday 22nd. I have the usual bird finding guides, but if anyone
has any recent or additional information on the birds below, I'd be
very grateful.
A trip report will be posted on birding-aus for this relatively
little-visited area.

Borroloola Area
Main target birds are:

Carpentarian Grasswren
Sandstone Shrike-Thrush
Purple-crowned Fairy-Wren
Mangrove Golden Whistler
White-breasted Whistler
Mangrove Grey Fantail
Star Finch
Pictorella Mannikin
Gouldian Finch
Flock Bronzewing
Letter-winged Kite
Red-backed Button-quail
Red-chested Button-quail
Yellow Chat
Oriental Pratincole (probably left already?)
Northern Shrike-tit
Banded Honeyeater
Grass Owl
Zitting Cisticola

Also does anyone know any good mangrove areas, or coastal sites
(ie. is there access to the coast), finch sites? Any other tips
for checking out good habitats that may not be well known?

Darwin Area
Any recent or updated information on the following would be appreciated:
Chestnut Rail
Rufous Owl
Great-billed Heron,
and where's a good place to see Silver-backed Butcherbird?

Thanks in advance,

Rod Gardner

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"