birding-aus

birding as a fetish???

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: birding as a fetish???
From: (Richard Johnson)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 16:19:04 +1000

Hi all

The name Annie Sprinkle may be familiar to some of you. A former porn star, Ms Sprinkle toured the southern capitals a while back promoting some sort of new age sex therapy and is notable for leaving Ray Martin speechless during an interview (he would ask silly questions).
I quote from a magazine article I recently read in Melbourne, describing a documentary film : "Annie Sprinkle, ultra femme sex artist with Mona Lisa stretched across her breasts, speaks of her bird fetish (she has crosses marked against the ones she's seen in San Fran) and the limitless dimensions of gender...." (Real Time/On Screen No. 35 Feb-March 2000).
If you ask me, Annie sounds like an old-fashioned twitcher, which proves that anyone can be a birder.
More interesting is the writer's interpretation of this as a fetish. I suppose that with Annie's public persona, anything you do would be interpreted in a psycho-sexual way. I'd always thought of birding as a manifestation of, and outlet for, the hunting instinct. Maybe there's something deep, dark and Freudian in there after all. Any comments?

Richard
--
Richard Johnson
Roma District