birding-aus

Tas trip

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Tas trip
From: (Richard Johnson)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 15:53:47 +1000
Hi All

Back from a fortnight in Tasmania. Wow, I loved the place. Had lots of fun and managed to see 25 new birds in between everything else. I am not going to bore everyone by giving a blow-by-blow account of the whole two weeks but I did think that a couple of places might be worth mentioning for the benefit of prospective visitors.
Firstly, I was alerted to the existence of the Peter Murrell Reserve by a posting from Murray Lord. Thank you very much, Murray, it was a great spot. I easily got Forty-spotted Pardalotes here and while watching some Spotted and Striated Pardalotes in a low tree, was utterly delighted when the tree was visited  in quick succession by an Olive Whistler, a Black-headed Honeyeater and a Yellow-throated Honeyeater. I also saw Tasmanian Native-Hen and Yellow Wattlebird here.
Some of you may recall my wish to see a penguin. In Hobart we took a harbour cruise (MV Cartela at the docks) which, as well as being a very nice way to see the layout of Hobart and its hinterland, proved to be a mini-pelagic trip! I saw stacks of Black-faced Cormorant, several Kelp Gull, a flock of Short-tailed Shearwater and several Little Penguins - you beauty! There are several cruises of the Derwent estuary available and, on my experience, they are well worth it as birding opportunities.
The Forestier State Forest (on the Forestier Peninsula, the blob of land immediately above the Tasman Peninsula) was a very good place for bush birds generally. I saw Strong-billed and Crescent Honeyeaters, Pink Robin and Black Currawong here. A bonus was a flock of White-throated Needletails travelling on a warm northerly wind.
There is a wetland designated as a Waterbird refuge a few km north of Triabunna on the east coast. Among the hundreds of Black Swan and Coots, there were a couple of Musk Duck and at least 20 Great Crested Grebe. The latter were notable since Dave Watts' book indicates that this bird is a rare visitor to Tasmania. Best of all was an obliging Australasian Bittern which flew by and settled in the reeds nearby. This wetland is easily viewed from the roadside, though getting your car safely off the road is a bit awkward.
I was pleasantly surprised by the abundance of birds in most bushland areas, even the smaller ones. I seemed to see something of interest almost every time I looked. A good example was the Meander Forest Reserve, south of Deloraine. This was very good for bush birds, including Dusky Robin, and had some prime-looking Scrubtit habitat, though I only saw Tasmanian Scrubwren and Tasmanian Thornbill here (the three seem to go together). The small reserve at Notley Gorge, north of Launceston - thank you, Bill Jolly - was similarly good. Bill had noted this as a spot to see Pink Robin and sure enough I had the pleasure of viewing a male at waist level from only 2 metres away. Though I'd seen the species several times before by then, it was a delightful encounter. He even did his 'snapping twig' call for me. I had good views of Ground Thrush too, but dipped on a hoped-for Scrubtit though the Thornbills and Scrubwrens were there.
All in all, Tassie proved to be a great birding destination. I got my 25 newies without excessive effort, found Tassie easy to get around in, the people friendly, the scenery magnificent, the trout cooperative and the food and drink delicious. I'll be back!
--
Richard Johnson
Roma District