birding-aus

Apostlebirds

To: <>
Subject: Apostlebirds
From: "Neville Schrader" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 19:58:16 +1100
    I found it interesting to read the conversation on Apostlebird
distribution, from my 26 years in the central-west district centred at
Parkes NSW, I've
gained the impression that in most large clumps and good road side
corridors Apostlebirds (and Grey-crowned Babblers) are doing ok. I was
further of the opinion that the species was slowly spreading east towards
Orange.

    Ten years ago they were not seen east of Manildra but now occasional
flocks are found. Now whether this expansion is up the Macquarie Valley or
from the west is unknown and impossible to determine.

     The clearing of marginal land east of Parkes has I believed allowed
them to colonise woodland normally considered unsuitable (Red Stringybark).
If the current eastward expansion continues they should be in Orange in the
next few years, unless climate factors (its bloody cold of a winter)
influence them to head back to warmer country.

     Possibly the interesting point would be, is this a new colonisation or
re-colonisation. I've yet to make up my mind, but a lot of the open White
Box woodland would have been suitable for there needs and this is
distributed over a large portion of the central west.

Neville Schrader
Parkes

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"