birding-aus

Little Terns

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Terns
From: "Alan Stuart" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 17:21:48 +1100
Regarding Craig's point about predation of Little Tern by other native
birds - there was a dilemma in 1998 for those involved when a pair of Beach
Stone-curlew nested at Harrington (NE of Taree in SW).  As most of you
would know, Beach Stone-curlew also are an endangered species.  What
happened was that they fed their young on nestlings from the Little Tern
colony breeding alongside them.  Of course, the response was to let nature
take its course.  Very mixed feelings though for those involved.

Alan Stuart

----------
| From: Rotamah Island Bird Observatory <>
| Subject: [BIRDING-AUS] Little Terns
| Date: Friday, 4 February 2000 20:13
|
| As far as I know, it is true that Little Terns have been "downgraded" to
| vulnerable.  Following this season maybe more thought needs to be put
into.
| All in all it has terrible year for breeding Little Terns in Victoria
with
| virtually no success at any of the breeding sites.
|
| This brings to me to my question, what methods have been used in other
| areas/countries to combat predation by other native birds (that doesn't
| involve the killing of the native birds).  The major predators of the
Little
| Tern colonies in Gippsland are Australian Ravens, Silver Gulls and
| Australian Kestrels.  A workshop is being run on this topic in the next
| couple of weeks so any thoughts/experience/references would be greatly
| appreciated.
|
| Craig Doolan
| Rotamah Island Bird Observatory

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"