birding-aus

birding-aus North Queensland

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus North Queensland
From: "Terrance Pacey" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 02:02:55 +1000
I have just returned from a two week tour from Toowoomba to Cairns and
return.  The trip was not for birding but a chance to visit relatives and
old friends.  Very little birding was done during the trip and even though
two days were spent in Cairns (Holloways Beach), two days at Mossman and
another two days on the Atherton Tableland,  no time was available to check
out any of the far north "hot spots" with the exception of Hasties Swamp.  I
did see a number of birds that were new to me and was able to spend some
time reacquainting myself with some old favourites.  My previous visits had
been during the dry season or of such a short duration that birding was
almost impossible.  I include some observations that may be of interest to
others.

The wet season does not provide the most pleasant conditions for casual
birding.  There were too many mosquitos and too much water.  The heat was
not a problem but the leeches were.

Mareeba Wetlands is closed during the wet season.
Hasties Swamp at Atherton was almost devoid of birds (too much water
elsewhere?).
The township of Silkwood seems an excellent spot for Crimson Finches.
There is a very short walk through the rainforest along the creek at Milla
Milla Falls.  This track is not marked but is easy to find.  I have checked
all the references I can find and nowhere does this walk seem to be
mentioned.  With Orange-footed Scrub-fowl scratching on the track within 10
metres of the car park, I wonder why.

I did check out some interesting sites to camp for the next trip and more
time will be spent birding and less visiting next time.

Terry Pacey
Toowoomba Qld

quotes)