birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Square-tail Kite and Hooded Plovers on NSW South Coast

To: Andrew Taylor <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Square-tail Kite and Hooded Plovers on NSW South Coast
From: morris <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:17:18 +1100
Andrew,
While both Square-tailed Kites and Hooded Plovers are rare in NSW, they would
not be unexpected at Broulee, and for the Hooded Plover, they have been
recorded there before. I am sure that the Eurobodalla Natural History Soc.
that publishes an annual report on wildlife observations (but mainly birds)
would be interested in your observations (contact Secretary P.O. Box 248
Batemans Bay NSW 2536). I have also noted your observations for the NSW
Annual Bird Report and the NSWFOC Newsletter's "Unusual Sightings".

Alan Morris
NSWFOC Records Officer
Tel 02 43 891390

Andrew Taylor wrote:

> I spent New Year on the NSW South Coast at Broulee near Moruya.
> The Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo heard from my bed at 6:30am on Jan 1
> was a good omen for 2000.  The next afternoon I was hanging towels and
> swimmers out to dry after a hard morning at the beach when there was an
> enornmous racket - it seemed every bird in the village went into the air.
> There were 30+ Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos screeching and a similar number
> of Galahs and Rainbow Lorrikeets and at least 10 other species.
>
> I expected a WB Sea-eagle to cruise by but the raptor that came into
> view wasn't a Sea-eagle or anything else I knew well.  It helpfully did
> a treetop level circuit as I grabbed my binoculars and allowed to get
> good views of only my third Square-tailed Kite.  A first for NSW for me.
>
> A week later I was piggy-backing my 1 year old daughter home on the beach
> when we spotted 4 Hooded Plovers above the high-tide mark - 3 adults
> and 1 juvenile.  My partner had seen 3 adult birds on the same beach in
> April and November.   Broulee Beach is busy over summer  so they must
> have been lucky to breed successfully.  HANZAB actually mentions them
> breeding at the same location in 1988-89.
>
> Last someone requested a NSW location for Hooded Plover - to find these
> birds I'd suggest parking at the Broulee Surf Lifesaving Club and then
> walk north around the rocks and over the sand spit and along Broulee
> Beach searching above the hide-tide mark.  If you dip, then walk around
> Broulee island for consolation views of Sooty Oystercatchers.
>
> Another pleasant sight on several days was Gang-gangs feeding on Bitou
> Bush seeds in the dunes. Gang-gangs are probably too few to make much
> impact but it can only help.
>
> Andrew Taylor
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)