birding-aus

birding-aus 1999 Highlights

Subject: birding-aus 1999 Highlights
From: Keith Betton <>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 23:28:21 +0000
I feel very lucky to have managed three trips to Australia this year from the
UK with nearly 50 days birding included (a lot more than I managed here in the
UK!).

January: Having experienced first-hand Sydney's rehearsal for next week's
Millennium celebrations I headed off to Lord Howe Island. The highlight was a
flight around Ball's Pyramid where I could see hundreds of seabirds wheeling
around the summit - Kermadec Petrels possibly?  The Red-tailed Tropicbirds
from Malabar Hill were the real stars. It's expensive but worth it. Up to
Brisbane and wonderful Marbled Frogmouths at Mount Glorious (thanks, Tom).
This was equalled by six Black Bitterns up at Daintree (thanks, Chris and
Phil).

May: A long drive from Brisbane to Eulo included Hall's Babbler and
Black-eared Cuckoo (thanks, Colin).  I then flew to Darwin and drove to
Broome. Hooded Parrots were real sods to find but worth the wait (thanks,
Denise).  The best bird of the year by far was Black Grasswren at Mitchell
Falls on a day trip by air from Cunnunurra.

November: I dipped on Regent Honeyeaters at Glen Davis, but was very happy to
see Painted Honeyeaters instead.  A side-trip while in Cairns got me Lesser
Sooty Owl at Kingisher BP at last (thanks, Phil & Ron).

The other highlight was England v Australia at the Gabba on 10 January. I
won't remind you of the final score!  But I did disgrace myself.  Some
business colleagues invited me to join them in their private box for the
match.  Superb sport and company.  Sat next to a young bloke who introduced
himself as Tim Horan.  "What do you do for a living then, mate" said I.
Whoops. (I know now!).

A big thanks to all the kind help Birding-Ausers have offered me this year.
I'll be back!

Keith Betton
London, UK
 I think, but I