birding-aus

RE: birding-aus RFI - TASMANIA

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Subject: RE: birding-aus RFI - TASMANIA
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:49:35 +1000

Edwin

Blue-winged Parrots and Pink Robins should be a straightforward find in the north of Tasmania.

A really good spot for several endemics, including Pink Robin,  is Notley Fern Gorge, about 20km to the north of Launceston on the west side of the Tamar River. I think it's a temperate rainforest - full of huge tree-ferns. The Pink Robin's call is a distinctive clear click, like the snapping of a small dry twig - I suppose this could sound like a problem in a forest come to think of it, but in fact it's a very clean and clear sound.

The area between Legana, Bridgenorth and Notley Fern Gorge, and back to Exeter should also give you Blue-winged Parrots more or less as a roadside bird.

I don't know about Striated Fieldwrens in the north of the state, I've only seen them up on the Central Plateau - but it could be worth a look in the reedbeds alongside the West Tamar Highway - I've seen Australian Bitterns and Masked Owls along there by the way, and it's a great place to see Marsh Harriers in numbers at this time of year.

Happy hunting

Bill Jolly

"Abberton", Helidon, Qld

ph  07 46976111