birding-aus

Re: birding-aus 1999 environment awards

To: <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus 1999 environment awards
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 19:15:44 +1000
Lets not be so hasty.  Funding for QPWS is, I understand, lower than it has
ever been.  Its a disgrace.  I am told that money for their wages runs out
in February.  I find it hard to believe but I'm told opertional monies for
the whole state are about $250K.  Some individual parks in the USA would
have operational budgets bigger than that. Queenslands busiest park, with
something like 2m visitors a year has a budget of less than $10k to keep up
tracks,  So before you give Beattie a pat on the back, remember that the
budgets of those agencies who are going to be expected to administer tree
clearing, and every other type of resource management policy have taken
massive cutbacks.  There just won't have the bucks to pay more than
lipservice to "biodiversity conservation",  even if the people in the state
agencies, like myself, have all the good will in the world. The current
batch of pollies are good at making motherhood statements.    Its very easy
to look good by making promises which you can't keep.  Another thing to
deliver.  At least with that *&  Petersen government, you knew where you
stood.

Signed....
Completely disillusioned.