birding-aus

birding-aus Binos

Subject: birding-aus Binos
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:23:26 EST
Hello All,

Buying a pair of binos appears to be as complex as watching a lady trying to find that right shade of eye shadow, or the right hue of foundation. Really!!!

I have for the past 6 years been using a fantastic pair of, dare I say it, Bushmaster's. A top pair of binos considering at the time that is what I could afford. The price appealed to me as well as the ability of the binos themselves. They have gone many places and have shown me some rahter magnificent bird species, be it in Central Victoria or the wet forests of south-eastern Queensland. But in the pure art of lens making they are definitely no the rolls royce.

I have been honoured to be able to look through the Swarovski (think i spelt that right) pair which Chris Tzaros has and hmmm, what can't a person see through them. Makes my pair look simply like the toy ones you give to a two year old. I would definitely be in the market for a pair when I could afford them, but until then the Bushmasters are the go.

As for having problems with a pair, I think it is possible with all of the binos on the market. Yes maybe someone you may know may have had a pair and something went wrong with them, or the customer service which was recieved was poor. But hey, is it really going to kill us.

A person I know brought a great pair of Leicas. They were great to look at when trying them out and they were great in the outdoors test. However about a month after purchasing the pair the person constantly complained of sharp headaches after speing time out in the field. Although they were a great quality lens they didn't do the eyes of this person any good. Another person with exactly the same pair had no problems with them. Therefore, bad pair or good pair??

Chris is had his Swarovskis for some time now, never had a problem with them. Others have them and have no problems with them. Two other given expamles on Birding-aus have shown problems. Well again, Good or bad??

What I am trying to say is, don't disregard any pair of binos because someone else says they are no good. Try them out for yourself, and if you are really keen, maybe you might try and approach the retailer and ask whether or not you can try them out in the field.

Anyway, life is just as it is.

Cheers

David
P.S. It's great living in a less than perfect world