birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Re: Land Clearing QLD

To: "andrew stafford" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Re: Land Clearing QLD
From: "Nigel Sterpin" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 17:52:08 +1100
Andrew,
Thanx for the response, however, I stand by what I said...not because I am
being dogmatic, but because I am not as sentimental as some. Without going
into a biography, my father had a far tougher life than 90% of people on
this planet, he came from Europe as a political refugee, with only the shirt
on his back, at the end of WW2. Since then he has established and nurtured a
very successful business, while much larger companies have gone bankrupt in
the same industry. He was uneducated and very restricted in his choices, but
he still had freedom to choose.
I don't want to go into rebutting your points, but you will generally get an
idea of my views on this 'empathy' that the media & government tries to
portray (for their own ends).
I think it was 1997, when there was major flooding in Gippsland and so the
taxpayer forked out compensation for various members of that community.
Firstly, I thought that Gippsland was a flood prone area!!! (Alot of our
wetlands have been lost from there) Secondly, the flooding is exacerbated by
farming, as there are less trees to absorb and transpire the water. Thirdly,
there are people who choose to live there, when they know full well this is
the case. I have no problem with this, but don't whinge with your hand out
when floods occur. Gippsland farmers choose to weigh the possible costs of
flooding against the returns from the land. Is someone going to compensate
me when my house burns down??? No, but if 100 houses burn down, in my area
at the same time, I'll bet there is compensation.
The taxpayer effectively becomes an insurance company.
To put it plainly, as soon as society accepts that the situations are a
result of circumstance, then the murderer will be able to put up the defence
in court that he was born that way...that just don't cut it!!!
What do think of my point about WA farmers clearing land that will turn into
salt???

Cheers, Nigel