birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Noisy miner "problems"

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Noisy miner "problems"
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:50:02 +1100
Hi! I am also new to this list, Dick Jenkin from Dungog. We built a house 5
years ago on basically  a very cleared grazing paddock of 33 acres( we run
horses & some cattle ) I have been interested in birds since a small boy &
of course wanted to create a "bird garden" & environment. A major

challenge with a bare block, about 10 gum trees & 1 small dam. Fortunately
the road side of our
property has a good coverage of older gums, mainly spotted , & about 300
metres away is the
Williams River with stands of Lillypilly, White Cedar & Riveroak, so it was
a case of trying to attract birds in the immediate area to come "across the
fence". I have a list of 62 species & several more in the surrounding area
not yet arrived. Get to the point I here you ask, but the scene needed to
be set for future reference as well.

We planted several species of the hybrid grevilleas & of course have a
resident population of Noisy Minors, the odd Red Wattlebird & Noisy
Friarbirds & very occasionally Eastern Spinebills & Scarlet
Honeyeaters as the main nectar eating species. We also have 8 species of
parrot/cockatoos &
the dreaded Indian Mynah's . I have observed , strictly as an amateur, and
have also heard someone else of good birding authority, mention the fact
that the Noisy Minors defend their feeding
territory & will chase off the Indian Mynahs & this allows the hollow log
nesting species & no doubt
numerous  mammals of the night, to breed. Galahs & Eastern Rosellas nest
here & since we have
planted Acacias, Crimson Rosellas have also turned up. All seem to be
increasing in numbers.

Now is it better to have Noisy Minors ,like them or not, but are at least
native, & the Rosellas etc
than to have Indian Mynahs & no parrots !
We have tried to counteract this by planting no more grevilleas ,but
increasing our Acacias, lilly pillys, flowering gums, river oaks  & some of
the more prickly natives such as Hakeas etc

The next door property, with an older style garden & old outbuildings have
many more Indian Mynahs but the only other nectar eating species I have
seen there have been Yellow Faced Honeyeaters ( once ) & Lewins Honeyeater
on the river. Mind you I don't visit often enough to know for sure, but
certainly see no other honeyeaters in the area.

Other birds of interest that I have seen in the area recently ( Barrington
Tops ) have been Rufous Scrub Bird & Paradise Rifle Birds. A bit of work to
do before they would ever visit our place!!!

Any comments ?

Dick Jenkin <>
20/11/99

quotes)