birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI Bird guide Europe

To: Timothy Hyde <>,
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI Bird guide Europe
From: Ian Montgomery <>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:04:02 +1100
The new Collins Bird Guide - that's what it's called - subtitled:  The
Most Complete Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe is
excellent.  The authors are Mullarney, Svensson, Zerrerstrom and Grant.
It was published this year and hailed in Europe as the first European
field guide to challenge the 1954 Peterson, Mountfort and Hollom guide.
It costs about 25 pounds sterling and is worth every penny.

The day after I bought the guide (in Ireland), I was able to distinguish
an Arctic Tern in flight from a Common Tern using field marks not even
mentioned in Peterson.

Ian