birding-aus

birding-aus CALM & Waychinicup Vandalism

Subject: birding-aus CALM & Waychinicup Vandalism
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:14:58 +0800
I have just returned from 5 days in the south west.  One of the best birding
spots is a small nature reserve called Waychinicup about 40km east of
Albany.  The Noisy Scrubbird has been relocated there and Western
Bristlebird is common.  Western Whipbird is a chance.

If you ask the CALM rangers at Two People's Bay for the best place to see
the NSB, they recommend Waychinicup.  I have some information on my web pages.

So it was with great dismay to find that when I visited the site last
Tuesday, I found a 30 metre wide firebreak dozed straight through the best
place to see the NSB!  It is sheer vandalism.  It is simply unbelievable to
see what has been done to the site.  A 30 metre wide strip wiping out some
low heath where a pair of bristlebirds were, 30 metres of prime dense
habitat along the gully which was the best place to see the NSB, and a large
area of hakea heath on the other side where Western Whipbirds could
regularly be heard.  All gone!

CALM (WA Dept of Conservation & Land Management) gets away with permitting
the logging of old growth, the mass frequent burning of the jarrah / marri
forest.  And now this.  Enough is enough.  If anyone else did this they
would be put away for 5 years.  I look forward to the imminent splitting of
this department so that the excellent conservationists get more say over the
foresters and fire freaks.

I have some photos, but it will be a few weeks before I get them developed.
Frank O'Connor
8C Hardy Road
Nedlands  WA  6009
Phone : +61 8 9386 5694