birding-aus

birding-aus From your unusual one ?

To: Philip A Veerman <>, All <>
Subject: birding-aus From your unusual one ?
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:51:40 -0800 (PST)
Thank you Phillip very kind words ?

I think ?

hahahaha I have a favour to ask of thee ?

I got a few more entries in the childrens colouring
competition then what Hilary and I ever dreamed of
getting ? well over 180 to be precise ? not bad for
our first time at this eh ? have asked around town
here in Hastings Victoria if any shop owner etc etc
would like to display some winners entries and many
say they will .... the local Hastings Public Library
are going to display the winners ... I've been busy
using my new beaut puta scanner on them and Mike Ryan
of the local Independent Newspaper wants some as well
... some are very very good can you think of anywhere
else that would like to display them ?

Have fun and always smile at the boss?

P.S. Just got another delivery of T shirts from the
USA to cover the BIG fella's ??????

Philip A Veerman <> wrote:

Hello All,
His writings on this line are all I know of John
Gamblin. I have often thought and sometimes written
that he is one weird character and I may actually be
right. I am pleased to acknowledge that behind this
is someone who in strange manner is also making a
contribution. Somehow or other I managed to come up
with whatever answer he was seeking in one of his
quizzes (I don't recall which). The prize was to be
a t shirt, I certainly was not expecting anything.

Well it seems t shirts ran out; I received: A very
nicely written certificate, a baseball style cap
embroidered "Mornington Peninsula Shire" (not really
my style), a quite nicely done pocket book on
Mornington Peninsula birds, 2 pens & 2 pencils
(wrapped in gladwrap), some RAOU publicity material
(that I already had). More importantly, there was a
copy of the Western Port Trader (obviously a local
newspaper) of 5 October 1999. This had a front page
story with the headline "Bird man throws a festival"
and photograph of John, featuring the three day bird
related festival, mainly for children, at Hastings
Hall. The postage alone (minus the cost of the 'post
pak', and items inside), was $3.40. Fairly generous.
It takes a lot of work to put together an event like
this and it can only be good to try and encourage an
interest in children in our birds. I have managed to
be the "page three girl" in The Canberra Times once
relating to promoting the Garden Bird Survey. John's
style may be quite different but that is OK and I
think he has done well to create a fair bit of good
local publicity especially among children..

RE: THE CAP ! ARE WE NOT WORLD CHAMPS AT BASEBALL ?

=====