birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Swimming Flock Bronzewing

Subject: Re: birding-aus Swimming Flock Bronzewing
From: "Richard Loyn"<>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:02:49 +1000
I saw a Flock Bronzewing alighting on water in north-central Queensland
many years ago, quite deliberately and expertly (my comment was "reminding
me of surface-feeding ducks") and wrote it up in Aust. Bird Watcher 16,
128-129.   My suggestion was that they could have been soaking their
feathers to carry water to young birds, in the manner of sandgrouse.  Did
you consider this?  There are lots of other published references of Flock
Bronzewings alighting on water, and some photos (HANZAB gives references)
but most relate to situations when there is a big crush at a small
waterhole (unlike your observation and mine).  Cheers, Richard.

Richard Loyn
Arthur Rylah Institute
123 Brown St Heidelberg Victoria 3084.

 on 24/10/99 15:50:01

Please respond to

cc:    (bcc: Richard Loyn/NRE)
Subject:  birding-aus Swimming Flock Bronzewing

Hi all
at the sewage ponds yesterday I was trying to find the Flock
B'wing to show a visitor. I thought I saw it in flight (poor view,
through the windscreen) and pointed it out, but then the thing
landed on the water, just like the teal it was with. I was a bit taken
aback that I'd made such a blunder, when a few seconds after, it
took off from the water and landed on the bank, revealing itself sure
enough to be the Flock Bronzewing. Seems that it's been hanging
around with the ducks too long. Actually it's surprising how duck-
like it looks on the land as well.
Cheers
Niven