birding-aus

birding-aus Needling the haystack.

Subject: birding-aus Needling the haystack.
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:12:11 +0900
Well, Jesse babe, I think the difference derives from the fact that the
word list can be both noun and verb (transitive and intransitive), and
there are a number of uses for each.  For birding purposes we tend to use
the noun "list" meaning an actual series of names, words etc. hence bird
list, state list, life list etc., and not the transitive verb "list" which
means the recording or compiling or setting down of a series of names,
words etc. So of course yours progresses to "listing" as you are in the
process of making a list, but ours doesn't as we use the noun form, usually
with an adjective in front. [Although, you can have a "listing" as a noun
too I suppose.] Messy.

English graduates please get off my case!

So, as birders we don't talk about "listing", which for us means leaning
over sideways, but ask each other "how many on your life list?, how many on
your year list?" etc., or "I've got 721 birds on my life list" ( Peter)

This completely ignores the archaic word "list" which means "listen", which
has nothing to do with this discussion at all!

Well, saying you are a Canadian is a slight improvement, at least we can't
then call you a yank, but you're still on the wrong side of the world dear
boy. Are you a Canadian, or was that just a try on? One of our friends is
currently birding in Canada - Snowy Owls and things.

Your comments re "ticking" vs "twitching" I agree with. When I go out
twitching I travel any distance to find and see a new bird, then I "tick"
it. And my life is that much richer for the fun of the trip and the search
and the FINDING and the SEEING ( and the ticking). Then I can go to
Palliser and get him to add one to my "total". It's all quite simple
really. You only have to be an Ozzy or an ex patriot Pom to be cool.
Provided the bird is alive of course.

Cheers mate.  Tony. mp.

ps: We don't actually use that last expression (mate)as much as we are
alledged to, I just put it in for cross cultural effect.

At 12:51  19/10/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Tony-
>    From now on I think when I talk to Australians, I should say I'm
>Canadian, eh?  ; )  In most American birder's opinions, I think, listing
>is the process of adding something to a list, while ticking means making
>a short, small noise at regular intervals...   (heh heh heh).  I just
>sent a little correspondence to Russell Woodford on American terms.  I
>had asked this:
>
><I'm curious about one point.  I had always assumed that "twitching" was
>
>synonymous for "birding" (i.e. serious birdwatching) while "ticking" was
>
>equivalent to "listing".  Is this not true?  Am I in error?>
>
>and he said:
>
><"'Tickers' is regarded as an Americanisation (!), but  people of both
>persuasions refer to new birds as ticks, and occasionally use the verb
>'ticking'.  I suppose the main distinction is this:
>
>If you're ticking, you're enjoying adding new birds to your list
>If you're twitching, you've gone somewhere expressly to add new birds,
>and
>probably a particular species you heard about on Birding-Aus!!">
>
>Interestingly, nobody says tickers or ticks, but we use the word "lifer"
>to mean a bird we add to our life list.  What would you have us use
>'stead of "listing"?
>
>Jesse
>

>-- Jesse Ellis
>MSC 854
>Lewis & Clark College
>0615 SW Palatine Hill Rd.
>Portland, OR, 97219

Tony Russell,
Adelaide, South Australia

   There's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing a new bird is there?

quotes)