birding-aus

Re: birding-aus New Species in NSW

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus New Species in NSW
From: "Ian Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:17:18 +1000
I wrote:

Do we have a new species of cuckoo down in the southern states (Golden Bronze-Cuckoo), if so why not a little more excitement.
Or is it just a case of incorrect name use?

Allen Richards wrote:

It's called Golden Bronze-Cuckoo in my edition of "What Bird is That?"

Allen this book is no longer in print, any person new to birding with the fifth edition of Simpson & Day or the latest Pizzy & Knight would find no mention of a Golden Bronze-Cuckoo and would be confused by the resent postings to birding-aus.

Lawrie Conole wrote:

I don't think it's fair to suggest that Edwin was incorrect - the race
of Shining Bronze-Cuckoo that we have in Australia, ie. Chrysococcyx
lucidus plagosus, was always known in the past as the Golden
Bronze-Cuckoo.  Most of us don't call subspecies/races by their
particular names in print, but we often refer to Yellow Rosellas, Mallee
Ringnecks, etc. in other discussions!

Same again Lawrie in the past. To give new birders a chance to follow what is being written on birding-aus the cuckoo should be referred to as the Shining Bronze-Cuckoo subspecies Chrysococcyx lucidus plagosus and not  Golden Bronze-Cuckoo.

Phil Veerman wrote:

What does this relate to? Golden Bronze-Cuckoo is the old name for Shining Bronze-Cuckoo. Or at least the one I grew up with.

Precisely Phil it is the old name.

Tony wrote
Pizzey's old book shows Golden Bronze-cuckoo, Broad-billed Cuckoo, and
Green Back as alternate names for the Shining Bronze-cuckoo ( Chrysococcyx
lucidus).   See P 198, item 370

We have it again (old book), can't we move with the times gents.

Rohan Clark wrote:

Golden Bronze-Cuckoo isn't just another name for the ANY Shining
Bronze-Cuckoo it actually refers to the Australian subspecies Chrysococcyx
lucidus plagosus which can be separated in the field from the New Zealand
subspecies C. lucidus lucidus. Just as Yellow Rosella equals Crimson
Rosella, and Black-backed Magpie and White-backed Magpie equal Australian
Magpie etc etc. Not surprisingly the Aust bird displays more golden-bronze
on the breast bars, head, neck and back c.f. the more uniform green of the
New Zealand bird (the later occurring on the east coast of Aust over
summer?)
No doubt HANZAB would have more info.

Rohan you are preaching to the converted and you state that it is a subspecies, I rest my case.  And not all people new to birding and a lot of birding-aus subscribers are, can afford HANZB.

Regards

Ian Clayton
Birds & Bush Tours
PO Box 6037, TMC, Townsville, Qld, Australia.     4810

Phone/Fax: 07 4721 6489
Phone/Fax International: + 61 7 4721 6489

Email:

WebPage:http:// www.ultra.net.au/~bbt

To a man ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded, so
that they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly
trees, as they watch for birds.

Gore Vidal