birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Having a little rave.

Subject: Re: birding-aus Having a little rave.
From: "G Glass" <> (by way of Tony Russell <>)
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:23:36 +0900
Ah, Tony

I THOUGHT of replying, but am also busy saving the environment all by
myself!!

Aching shoulders at the moment from pruning our forest of Euc. argophloia
which we planted to save our lucerne paddocks getting houses on them in due
course when we are too old, or even die. Five-six hours a day except when
it's raining, which is almost never. That's the winter job. We pretend it
will be a serious forest and say we are growing them for plywood logs, but
we won't mind if they stay as trees; have planted pretty things around the
edges to avoid the monoculture scene.

When that is finished, the lantana on the hill will be ready for attacking
again. Not to mention the African boxthorn seeded from our neighbour's good
supply. And the tigerpear some gardener let loose last century. THAT won't
be eradicated until our lovely hill full of scrub is concreted over!

Also atlassing one day a week. That is, out on the road. Also atlassing at
home with whatever birds I can hear/see ...

We DO CARE! and some of us are doing our bit. We also have to stay sort of
sane, do the washing up, vacuuming, mow the lawn, visit the oldies, though
I'm pretty old myself etc, etc.

But then, some of us do need reminding. There are a lot of dilittantes
around, sampling the edges of the conservation movement. Got a mob coming
for a so-called bushwalk here next week. Thought of slashing a path for
'em, but blow it! Let 'em sample the real bush with long grass. Maybe I will
relent and put a few sacks over barbed wire - otherwise the 'real men'
among them will strain the barb so that it will never be the same.

I have the germ of an idea of getting 'someone' to give an award to people
who live on their plot of space/earth and make it pleasant for other
creatures too. I'm anti- the sterile acre blocks around here! Lawn and more
lawn, and 'lovely' mostly foreign, shrubs and trees, all trimmed to
person-head height. Only magpies and starlings can bear such places. ...
Will stop. As I said, I need to develop the idea further.

Send this on to birding-aus, if you like, Tony.

Gloria Glass