birding-aus

birding-aus Pelagic Binoculars

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Pelagic Binoculars
From: "Roger McGovern" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:18:00 +0800
It has occured to me for a while now that I have a lot of difficulty keeping a steady view on a pelagic bird from a vessel in any moderate kind of sea using my 10x40's. This may just be because I am 'unco', but I am wondering about getting some 7x or 8x binoculars for birding from moving boats. Does anyone have any views on the ideal pelagic optics? What about image-stabilising glasses - are they just a gimmick?
The Fremantle North Mole has been turning on some good birds recently, each time a good frontal system passes through. Those that I am aware of include a Blue Petrel and an Antarctic Petrel by John Darnell, two Blue Petrels in one session by Frank O'Connor, and for myself: a stunning close view of Blue Petrel on July 26; Great-winged Petrel, Prob. Blue Petrel and a Soft-plumage Petrel on August 10; and Giant Petrel (sp) on August 11 (the latter was 'sp' because it was flying away from me and not because of any noted problem in bill coloration!). Maybe not up to Magic Point standards but still pretty exciting.

Roger McGovern