birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Lunch Time Observations

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Lunch Time Observations
From: "Muir Environmental" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:35:07 +0800
Hi Laurie

Am catching up on my email backlog and came across your interesting message
below.  It was a pleasure to read, and made me go all patriotic as Perth
is, and always has been, my home - despite interstate and overseas travels.

I particularly went all patriotic when you called my home "waterfowl
> capital of Australia".  Its nice to hear such good words said about your
home town.

"Perth has more lakes than you can poke a stick at, and the Uni I worked
> at [in Mt Lawley] had a neighbouring park, complete with lake and
> vegetated island"
Is this Edith Cowan Uni?

Think I'll go and investigate that lake.

Did you get the chance to visit some of the other lakes around Perth?  And
did you get to the Eric Singleton wetland reserve in Maylands? (its an old
quarry developed for waterfowl and sticky-beak birdwatchers like us) -
there are some good birds there.  It has a timber bird-hide where I go with
my binoculars especially when I need to chill out.  I've watched Pink-eared
Duck display, seen and heard Musk Duck call and display, heard and seen
Clamourous Reed-Warbler in the rushes around the edge, etc. etc.  Its a
great spot.  I come away from there full of peace and tranquility for
mankind.  The reserve extends down to the Swan River, and there's a walking
path that leads from the carpark to, and past, the Reserve, then on to and
along the River.  When you walk you have to keep one eye out for all the
doggy-doos that the local 4-leggeds have left behind.  The main wetland in
the Reserve is largely inaccessible to dogs fortunately, although they do
come into the hide occasionally.

My office is not far from Hyde Park, close to West Perth, and occasionally
I go there at lunchtime.  I've only seen the more common species there
however.

Anyway, its true, Perth does have many lakes, although it had a lot more
before settlement commenced in the 1830's/40's.  Many were filled in for
building.

So, Perth is a good place to visit for waterfowl....

Regards

Jenn Muir

quotes)