birding-aus

birding-aus Migrating Silvereye

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Migrating Silvereye
From: Ros Laundon <>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 15:18:06 +1000
Hello Aus-Birders,

Sheena Gilman and I met a Silvereye with very broad, dark chestnut
flanks in Toohey Forest this morning.  From the field guides it was
probably a Tasmanian seeking the sun (lateralis).  There were flocks of
up to 10 Silvereye there but this one was forraging on its own.  Perhaps
the paler-flanked varieties didn't recognize it as one of them.  Toohey
Forest surrounds Griffith University on the south side of Brisbane.  We
were taking part in a survey to locate small, leg-ringed bush birds and
help determine the use that they make of Toohey Forest.  This little
Taswegian did not have a leg ring.  One of the best things about surveys
is the by-catch.
A few weeks ago we were freezing (for Queensland) in the Border Ranges
(NSW-QLD border via Rathdowney) on an Eastern Bristlebird Survey.  QOSI
volunteers with Department of Environment guidance were taking part in a
long-range habitat survey in an historical Eastern
Bristlebird location.  Apart from the magnificent scenery we got a
really close up view of an aged, female Brown Falcon. Unlike some other
surveys, no results can be posted as EBB's are notoriously easily
distracted from the business of breeding.  Playing tapes and attempts at
flushing are considered likely to end a season's breeding.

However, we did get some ticks, the sort that have to be taken out with
tweesers.  I only mention it because my Dr. would have given me a
tetanus booster if my last was more than 5 years ago.  Perhaps others
are also unaware of the linkage of bush ticks and tetanus.

Regards,
Ros Laundon.

quotes)