birding-aus

birding-aus birding around Sydney

Subject: birding-aus birding around Sydney
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 17:33:24 -0400
Dear Oz Birders:

I am a Yank from Virginia with 1 1/4 days prior birding experience in
Australia. I have, however, been lucky enough to be in Chile, Argentina,
South Africa, Israel, and Crete in the last couple years.

I will be in Sydney August 8 to 15 of this year, at a meeting, and will
have a few days for day trips (perhaps one overnight) from Sydney.

I have done some reading and thought of the following ideas:

Royal Natl Park: Lady Carrington road in the morning, heathlands
in the afternoon

Dharug Natl Park: for a day

Blue Mountains: overnight, for a two-day trip

This is about the amount of birding time I'll have. I'll be driving
a rental car, staying in the center of Sydney.

I'm curious whether these are reasonable suggestions (forgot to
say I'll be on the Sydney pelagic on the 14th). Also, is there
a best place to go at those sites? Do you have better suggestions?

A few specific questions:

1.      I've read about Glen Davis Road on the west side of the
        Blue Mountains. There, one can look for Regent Honeyeater,
        Plum-headed Finch, and Glossy Black Cockatoo. Is this site
        worth the trip? Can anyone point me to specific directions?
2.      The junction of the road to Upper Colo and the track to Bilpin:
        this was Phoebe Snetsinger's site for her lifer Spotted
        Quail-thrush. Is this a must-see site? Can anyone point me
        to specific directions?
3.      Same for Pierces Pass: where exactly does one look for the
        Rock Warbler?

Thank you in advance for your help.

David O. Matson
Suffolk, Virginia