birding-aus

birding-aus visiting U.S. birder

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus visiting U.S. birder
From: "Doug Futuyma" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 13:16:45 -0400
Hello all,

        I'm a university professor in New York (my field is evolutionary biology
and ecology), and an active, fairly experienced birder. At the end of
August, I will begin a sabbatical leave from my university, and will spend
about 10 months based in Melbourne, at the University of Melbourne and
LaTrobe University.  This will give me the opportunity to fulfil a lifelong
wish to see the fauna and flora of Australia, so extraordinarily different
from what can be seen in America, or anywhere else for that matter. I intend
to travel to as many parts of your country as I can, and to put a lot of
effort into birding.  I've been studying birding guides by the Thomases and
Wheatley, to find out where to go, and guides to the birds themselves,
naturally.

        I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of field trips that will be
organized for active birders, or who would be interested in my accompanying
them as they bird in the Melbourne area or other areas I expect to visit.
I've tentatively scheduled air travel that would take me from Melbourne to
Perth on 22 September, from there to Darwin on 7 October, from there to
Alice Springs on 22 October, then back to Melbourne on 27 October.   (I
expect to visit coastal New South Wales and Queensland during the summer,
and Tasmania at some point in fall.)  I'll be travelling alone, so I'd
certainly appreciate opportunity to meet local birders in these areas.

        Any advice would be welcome.  Thanks in advance,

Doug Futuyma
State University of New York
Stony Brook, New York

quotes)