birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Collinsville Dump Birdkill

Subject: Re: birding-aus Collinsville Dump Birdkill
From: jon wren <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:21:01 PDT
Thanks for your reply,
I was hoping that those in charge of public health have a greater knowledge of the requirements to be undertaken in the event of an incident involving the death of our wildlife. After having nine years on the Bowen Shire Council as an elected representative and being aware of all the various policies that are in place for the numerous issues,I cannot understand why they did not collect a number of specimens for analysis, commonsense would prevail I would think, but alas this does not seem to be the case. Why do we have Environmental Protection Agencies manned with staff that don't seem to care? Surely they could indicate an interest in resolving the matter and making sure that we learn from the incident so there is no repeat of a similar nature in the future. We have three Environmental Health Officers employed by the BSC, all seemed to indicate that once the birds and garbage had been buried that was the end of the problem. "Out of sight, out of mind"
The EPA in Townsville not interested.
Is this the best we can do for the protection of our wildlife, do we just accept these bird kills as just another accident?

Jon Wren
PO Box 868
Bowen
Queensland