birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Bird and Whale watching at Cape Solander near Sydney 20t

To: Karen Pearson <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Bird and Whale watching at Cape Solander near Sydney 20th June 1999
From: morris <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:01:17 +1000
Hi Karen, Edwin and other birders.
I do feel that the birding couple who Karen met at Cape Solander was Neil and Judy, Russill, long term members of both the NSWFOC & the Cumberland BOC. Like she said, a lovely, helpful couple!
Off Norah Head and Soldiers Point on the Central Coast of NSW last Sunday, it was easier to spot the Humpback Whales than the seabirds. Atlas the Albatrosses were staying well out to sea and I could only positively identify one Black-browed Albatross. However Fluttering Shearwaters and Australasian Gannets were more obliging.

Alan morris
Records Officer
NSWFOC

Karen Pearson wrote:

 This morning I had wonderful experience at Cape Solander on the southern end of Botany Bay (a little south of Sydney). Not only was I watching several Black-browed and Shy Albatross offshore from Cape Solander, but saw 3 magnificent Humpback Whales only about one kilometre away from the rocks. One or two was seen "breaching" (with enormous splashes) and the whales were also seen tail slapping, blowing, rolling, diving, flapping its fins and tail etc. There were several small fishing boats metres away from them and one fisherman did not realise how close it came behind from his boat. I have never seen them so close to shore. -----snip Edwin, Unfortunately, I just missed you.  I have just returned to Melbourne yesterday (Sunday) after spending a week at Cape Solander ( pretty much daybreak to 4.00ish) helping to count the passing humpback whales.   I too, saw some spectacular sights while there.  Congrats on your sightings - I for one, will never tire of the sight of such magnificient creatures on their annual migration. I also managed to spot some interesting birds while there to add to all the thrills, and managed a quick trip to the Royal National Park (I don't think I've ever seen so many birds !!!!)  after being helped by a regular birding couple also out watching the whales.   The gentleman was Neil (sorry, I didn't catch his surname) and his wife and they were both very helpful - a lovely couple.  He did mentioned he knows quite a few contributors on birding-aus.  I had a truly wonderful week !!  KarenHampton, Vic.