birding-aus

birding-aus [Fwd: Re: History of Rainbow Lorikeets in Melbourne]

Subject: birding-aus [Fwd: Re: History of Rainbow Lorikeets in Melbourne]
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 11:12:26 +1000
--- Begin Message ---
To: Philip A Veerman <>
Subject: Re: History of Rainbow Lorikeets in Melbourne
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 13:26:08 +1000
Dear Philip

I thought there might be wider interest so I've copied this to
Birding-Aus.

The quotation on which I relied says of Rainbow Lorikeets: "at one time
very mumerous around Melbourne, but only an occasional bird has been
seen since 1874."

This is from the Bird Observer no.350 (Jan.1961) which had a piece on
"Birds of the Melbourne District 1900 " taken from an old article by GA
Keartland. In it he listed various rare species which had "all fallen to
my own gun" and were shot in Brighton.  They included "Brown Hawk" and
"Grey-backed Goshawk".

I don't remember there being any details about the original publication
of Keartland's article and I simply assumed that his "Rainbow Lorikeet"
was the species we now call by that name.

Michael Norris
Hampton, Vic.

Philip A Veerman wrote:

> I am interested in your statement that "The Rainbow Lorikeets are
> rapidly re-colonising Melbourne (having left about 100 years ago)". As
> you may know, I was the first one to publish on their re-colonising
> Melbourne (1991 Aust. Bird Watcher 14(1):3-9). What I could not find
> information on at the time was that they had left about 100 years ago
> or indeed any evidence that they had previously been common.
> Admittedly I didn't try all that hard. I was just commenting on the
> increase since the 1960s and 1970s.  Where does that insight come
> from?

quotes)

--- End Message ---