birding-aus

birding-aus Save the Sparrow: Really??

Subject: birding-aus Save the Sparrow: Really??
From: "Paul McDonald" <>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:49:56 +1000
Hi All,

I cannot believe my eyes! Save the sparrow, the mynahs, the rock doves of this world, what next!!

I can see your point, the quote about what do we preserve is a good one and often cited, but really there is an obvious line to take. Pre-European arrival is the sensible and most, (not necessarily is!) realistic goal. As to why we should remove exotics, which primarily put here to make migrants feel more at home, one only has to look at the ecological disaster area across the Tasman. I think we are secure enough as a people to identify with endemics as opposed to ring-ins.

I would personally rather have Superb Blue Wrens, Red-browed Finches, Peaceful Doves and the like than Sparrows, blackbirds etc. Incidentally, as an Australian I have always thought the Turdus genus name is particularly apt!

Cheers, Paul

To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)